Visual Sequencial Narrative

I've been thinking a lot about narrative qualities in art and how artwork can tell a story. At first, my mind was wandering to children's books and story games. There always seems to be a sense of journey-- following a path and completing a map to get to a destination in these stories. I'm not necessarily locked into the idea of children's storybooks, but I do like the idea of using maps to capture the feeling of taking a journey. Here I've layered a few map images from Bing and a photo of the sky I took. To make this piece a little more personal, I've begun to relate it to a personal journey-- a goal I have set of moving to Colorado after graduation. All of the maps included in these iterations are from Colorado. Moving forward, I want to experiment with different forms of pathways like roads and bodies of water. I'm also envisioning street signs or telephone polls in the foreground. For a technical note, I really want to focus on establishing better foreground and background than I have in my previous digital works. 

 

Comments

  1. I feel like with your theme and images something fun to do might be to print them out and do some art over the print (like paint, collage etc). Collages in particular remind me of maps and journeys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your concept and can't wait to see where it goes! I think the addition of pathways and bodies of water in the foreground as well as the street signs and telephone polls will look really good! You're backgrounds so far are looking really good. I love the sky colors combined with the maps and look forward to seeing your work on developing the foreground!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You’ve brainstormed some really great concepts!! Your progress work right now is really solid, i think it will get more interesting the more you develop it

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoy how this concept is also a personal reflection of where you want to go, and where you're actively heading right now, through finishing school, and I'm sure many other preparatory measures. The idea of a journey, emotionally, and physically, can be seen and felt, already through these iterations. The idea of incorporating road signs, too, will be a great addition to communicating this intention of moving forward. <3

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts