Fantasy Appliance 

February 2021

I have created a fantasy scene combining an iron with steam clouds. I chose to depict a household iron in an outdoor setting to introduce a conversation about climate change. In this fantasy setting, the iron is extremely enlarged to take the place of a bulldozer in a depleted forest. The iron is placed on an abstracted birds-eye view of a field. The idea was to show the little connections between different elements in the environment and how they affect each other. The steam clouds are coming from the iron in a very subtle way to show that small decisions matter when it comes to taking care of the environment. I intended for the steam to flow into the look of clouds, as well as the tops of trees. I was hoping to achieve an organic flow between the forms I created in this piece. 

I have focused on mark-making and exploring the abstract qualities that Adobe Illustrator can harness. I genuinely enjoyed playing with line variation and the vast options for brushstrokes. I like experimenting with abstracted forms in my paintings, and was really excited to try it here. To emphasize parts of the work, I worked in layers and variations in opacity. In my personal art practice I use color heavily, so composing a black and white piece was very challenging. I found myself thinking about the mood of the piece and how it could have a completely different feel if it were in color. I also struggled to create a sense of depth and want to continue working with this challenge in future projects.


 

Comments

Popular Posts