Fantasy Appliance

 


Progress on Fantasy Appliance

I am brand new to Illustrator and definitely had some difficulty getting used to the process. I was surprised by how different it is drawing on Illustrator than drawing with a pencil and paper. This process has made me recognize how scattered I am when drawing on paper. 

Here I have focused on outlining my image. I began with a basic outline of the iron and worked my way in. I have enjoyed playing with line variation, which is something I like to emphasize with pencil and paper, too. The curvature pen tool has been extremely useful, especially with all of the organic shapes that make up the iron. I am still very new to Illustrator and digital art, but am excited to keep practicing.
 
In my personal art practice, I mainly work with fiber arts. I use an iron quite often, which led me to the idea of creating a fantasy life for it digitally. I've made a few sketches around the idea of steam and clouds. I've also been considering focusing on the heat function of the iron and how this is an adjustable setting. It would be fun to play with the theme of temperature in the progression of this project.




Comments

  1. I love the simplicity of just the outline of the iron, it also leaves a lot of room for playing around with different ideas. I am so excited to see where you go with your fantasy setting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Julia! Your outline looks really clean so far and it looks like you have plenty of room to play around which is exciting! I'm really looking forward to how you develop the ideas of steam and heat. It also plays along really well with your ideas and relationship to fiber art- great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Julia! Your progress already on a new program looks great. The smoothness and proficiency of the lines you've created guide my eyes easily around the iron. I can envision the steam clouds you mentioned as a strong partner to the iron. The idea of temperature and how we can communicate that through the visual is an exciting element; there's so much possibility there. Eager to see where your imagination takes you. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Julia! I think you're doing a good job getting yourself familiar with this program. It can be frustrating but once you get used to the tools and the vectors it can be really fun. I'm excited to see where you go with this appliance, I think if you smoothed the lines out towards the top right of the image that would look a little better but otherwise I'm excited to see this develop!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your linework is incredibly smooth, I think you're doing a great job! I think the layering of steam clouds (with varying opacity) will go lovely with this work after filling different shades of colors into the object. I look forward to watching your progress!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts